PHOENIX — We all know Phoenix traffic can brutal and that often causes people to do irrational things to get to where they need to go faster. But what are the rules for HOV use?
Here’s what we were able to verify:
- HOV lanes are enforced Monday through Friday, from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. During these days and times you must have at least two people in your vehicle.
- There is no minimum age for that second passenger.
- A person may drive a motorcycle in a HOV lane at any time, regardless of the number of passengers.
- A tow truck can be in the lane at any time, regardless of the number of passengers.
- If you have a registered Alternative Fuel Vehicle or Energy Efficient Vehicle with a valid plate you’re allowed in the HOV lane at any time, regardless of the number of passengers.
If you are given a citation in the HOV lane fines start at $400. You can contest it in court, go to traffic school to keep the violation off your record or pay the fine and move on.